Tuesday, 31 December 2013

in 2014 I shall....

I do this every single year - I make completely daft resolutions that by the middle of January I've forgotten or not actually managed to stick to. There's no reason why 2014 should be any different.

Let's recap on last year's....

use up more stash. Well, I did manage to make a few stash only quilts (the scrappy trip along was a huge help with that) but I seemed to end the year with far more fabric than I started the year with, so I guess I should count that as a part fail.



sew more for me. This was a success, I think. I did manage to combine sewing for me with obligation sewing too, which was a bonus (the spools quilt below was something I really wanted to make and I got it published in love patchwork and quilting - oh, it also used up a lot of stash fabrics, so it was an all round win!)


teach more. Actually, I did seem to be away from home a fair bit with Sizzix stuff and what-not, so that was a success too. I also realised that it probably wasn't the best idea to be away so much, particularly on weekends, but you don't know until you try things do you? And that was more to do with how the year panned out with personal stuff and Ginge moving football teams (soccer) to a team he's passionate about.

So how about this year's resolutions? What do I hope for this time round?

use up more stash. I'm determined here, it needs to be done. I have fabrics that I hoard away and there's no rhyme or reason for it, so I intend to make half of my quilts this year from just stash fabrics. A quick and easy stash buster is the giant star from Jeni's tutorial, so maybe I'll make a few more of those (they're great gift quilts too)



read books. I didn't read a single book last year, and I love reading. I find the fact that I didn't read anything over the year quite horrific. If I can read a book every month, or even every other month then I'm winning. Instead of checking twitter or instagram every second I'll sit and read a book. I have a kindle so I'm going to take full advantage of the free books in the kindle store and read me some stuff, even if it's trashy chick lit, it'll be better than not reading at all. Reading is good for the soul, it's relaxing, it helps you chill out (I have already started on this plan, and read a couple of young adult books already - Silence and Broken Silence by Natasha Preston, neither were particularly fantastic but they were pleasant, enjoyable and easy reads, and a perfect re-introduction to reading again...plus they were free kindle downloads so that makes it better still!)

spend time with my family. I know I will have to go away a fair bit in 2014 with quilt monkey so when I am home I want to spend more time doing fun stuff with my family, and also to try and be home more on weekends. Because things got a bit scary in 2013 with my husband's illness it made me realise even more how little time we have on this Earth, and I don't want to get to a point where I regret not doing things. 2014 is the year of enforced family fun. The teenager will be pleased. Ha! (we've also already started this and had a family trip to the fancy cinema in town, which is double the price of the regular cinema but has couches instead of those flip up seats, it's full of hipsters with beards, and you can take real glasses to your seat...which also has a table next to it. We saw the secret life of walter mitty, which was good. I really enjoyed it, so did the teenager and the husbeast. Ginge wasn't so thrilled but he just sat and played with his wrestling figures quietly and was happy)

sew more for me (again). Because what is the point in sewing if you don't make stuff you want to keep? Yes, there are too many quilts in this house already, but I won't let that stop me. Until we are all drowning in quilts I will not rest. (First job is to finish up this quilt...)



So what about you? Did you make resolutions for 2013 and how did they go? And what are your resolutions for this year?


36 comments:

Melissa @ Missouri Mel said...

Audiobooks. You can listen to a book while sewing, etc. There are free ones on Librivox.

Jackie said...

I see the suggestion for audiobooks - I can't seem to sew and listen (and keep up with the story) at the same time.

For 2014, I want to be more deliberate with my free time; using it much more wisely. Work seems to sap it all from me at times but even 15 minutes a night would make a big difference and bring back a bit of sanity.

Katy Cameron said...

Good luck with that list! And the free Kindle books. I always download a ton to take on holiday and some of them... well let's say you can see why they're free ;o)

I'd like to recover my work life balance in 2014 and get fit again, but we'll see...

Sally said...

so far, I've only made a few potential resolutions: lose weight/get more fit…. this is a hard one, but I need to be determined. I'm hitting a big zero birthday this year and want to be more fit when I begin this next decade of my life. Beyond that, I want to sew more selfishly and to get more organized, too. Only a few goals, but pretty lofty ones :-/

Natasha said...

Ikes. I hate to actually make my goals public as I, like you, dump them rather quickly. I love that you blogged them and then can go back and see if it stuck. May try that. My main goal this year is financial, but we'll see.

Karen said...

Loving the audiobook idea here since I sew and stream TV or movies. I am totally hooked on the Good Wife though so maybe once that is done it is audio book time. I think my stash multiplies while I sleep and I had stash use on my 2013 list..I too want to use up stash..which isn't huge and though I am tired of it, use it up I will. You will have an awesome 2014! I just know it :)

Anne said...

Sounds like a good plan. I'm in the midst of committing my plan to print by posting on my blog soon too. Good luck.

Carla said...

Well.......I do want to use my stash before I don't like it anymore : ) I love all your quilts

margaret said...

good to see you are so organised, no real plans apart from not buying fabric for the sake of it as I have so much already but it will be okay if I need some for a specific project. Have only signed up to do CQJP this next year but want to master paper piecing and FMQ in my dreams. I do read, usually whilst relaxing in the bath! All the best to you and especially to the recovery of your husband in 2014

Linda said...

I made one resolution, which was similar to your First one. To use up lots of my scraps and try to make as many quilts only using stash fabrics. I managed really well. Lots of scraps used, lots of pieces used for backing and bits of backing stitched together to use in small quilts. Doing the same again on 2014. Two good books for you to read: The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier (quilting theme plus slavery!) & The amazing journey of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce. Happy reading and Happy New Year.

Kate at M is for make said...

I started listening to/watching TED lectures while I was sewing this year, OK most of it went over my head, but I picked up a few insights and there is something wonderful about watching great public speakers. My resolutions, I think I'm becoming increasingly aware too of making the most of time with my family, as challenging as they can be sometimes :) Live in the moment, hang out with people that make you feel good and not those who don't. And the kindle really changed how much I read, I resisted getting one for ages, but have used it so much. I am currently in the middle of Jo Nesbo books which I cannot put down, and there are loads of them, I'm reading one after the other, definitely recommend them when you want something a bit more gritty but still easy to read.

David Octa said...

Thanks for the ideas your share here
So far, I am looking for a source of reference on various websites
Now I have found what I was looking for all this time
I state that the technology used is not as sophisticated as the technology in your country
Although I had a lot of obstacles with existing technologies in Indonesia in my country, but I keep the spirit to strive to be the best, one of which is a reference from your idea that really helped me.
Once again I want to say thank you
ID Files World Price Mebel Murah Blog ID Files Ada Gratis One Notepad Online Info Teknologi Berita Otomotif

Charlotte said...

totally with you on the stash using. I'm drowning!

moira said...

Great list and similar to most I think. I recommend the tale of the time being by Ruth Oseki. Or the tigers wife (can't remember the author)

Trudi said...

Don't be so hard on yourself about not using all your stash last year, you made loads! I'm going to focus again on being focused, organised, more quality down time, and try to grow more creatively. I think that will be enough for one year :).

Nicky said...

I think you did very well in the circumstances! And you picked some good ones for next year!

My only resolution this year was to leave 2013 with no UFOs - big fail on that but I finished lots of tops and decided not to rush them as I'd rather they ended up looking good than finished! Started lots of new ones though. Will be working on the same updated resolution I guess!

Would also like to use up scraps - so maybe some scrap quilts will need to be started ....hmmm!

Fran said...

They weren't exactly resolutions, but I joined a Bee and did two charm square swaps this year and loved stepping out into the sewing community! Next year I really really need to finish my hand sewn hexagon quilt which has been hanging around for six years or so... Happy 2014 x

Kay said...

I only made 2 resolutions for 2013. Number1: learn to put in zips. DONE! Number 2: learn to crochet. FAIL. That looks a bit rubbish as I only had 2 goals , but I also learned how to make quilts and made my fist two. They aren't perfect but I still love them. In 2014 I want to relax more and buy a sizzix machine too to cut up some scraps in to charm squares as I loathe cutting. Happy New year to you.

Di said...

They are good resolutions, especially the one about treasuring family time. They grow up and leave the nest way to soon. Di x

diane said...

The fact that you've had a harder year than most people and have kept such a positive attitude is proof of your beautiful and loving spirit. Take care of you. The reading and relaxing will help. Continued prayers that 2014 will be a good and better year for all of us. xoxo

Deborah said...

Oooh, I love these. It's funny--I wrote up my New Year's Day post a while ago (it's now waiting in the queue so I won't have to arise on New Year's Day itself in order to post it), and I am so surprised and pleased to see how many others are echoing what I am feeling: a need to slow down and appreciate and be grateful and really ENJOY what we have right now, rather than finding ourselves on a hamster wheel. Your 2014 sounds much like I hope mine will look--so excited we'll get to spend part of it together! We'll compare mid-year notes!!

Nana-Bob said...

I want to rediscover reading as well. And make me more quilts too, lol.

joanne said...

I am desperate to do a scrappy trip or scrap vomit, as yours always turned out amazingly, let alone the spool quilt which was added to the to do list!!
I have read so little too this year and knitted less, but I have loved sewing more. So for me, I have to realise with a family I can only fit in so much! I think I may have to go down the audio book route, but I have a terrible habit of blocking out all thats around me when I sew!!! Maybe my resolution should be to blockout less and listen to this mad house a bit more, as they are very entertaining!!!

joanne said...

I also wish you a really happy, healthy 2014 you and all your family!! xxx

BBB said...

I love to listen to audio books while quilting. It's a good way to kind of read, but also have time for stitching.

Bennett and Graves said...

I do a word of the year. 2014 is 'Progress' the verb And the noun. Happy New Year Katy from a blog fan in California.

leanne said...

love your resolutions - I try not to make them as I'm always a fail ! for 2014 I hope to enjoy life and make quilts and stuff !

Elsa said...

I like to keep my resolutions simple ~ I did have 2 yoga goals and met them both (which is pretty exciting for me). I did have a word (or two) for the year and a motto ~ Peace was one and I managed to have a rather peaceful year. My motto was ~ 'she said she could, so she did!' and I did a lot!
My words for this year are Tidy and Productivity and my motto is 'when something in your life goes wrong yell PLOT TWIST and move on!'

Elsa said...

Oh and Happy New Year!!!

Lisa Chambers said...

Happy New year to you and all the family! Hopefully this year will be full of fun and enjoyment! I love the mix of sewing for myself and family and friends! Just wish there was more time! My goal is to design a quilt to be published in a magazine?!!! :)

Esch House Quilts said...

I miss reading too! I listen to audiobooks while I sew sometimes so that helps, but I'd like to spend more time reading actual books :). I hope 2014 is the best year ever for you and yours!

myBearpaw said...

I think your resolutions are really sensible, I too want to spend more time with the real people I care about rather than feeling like I can't get off the hamster wheel. But I also read about 30 books a year so maybe I should be trying to read less!

hasnain raza said...

All News updates about Forex Business, Latest Currency news updates, latest forex trading business updates, trading updates, forex trading latest news, forex brokers directory, forex brokers list, Dollars news affairs, Stock Markets, stock market news, stock market analysis, technology news, international forex markets, international forex business news and all updates about Forex Trading
ForexAffairs.Com

ryan james said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

brad maddox said...

All Latest Hot Current Affairs, All Entertainment News updates, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Entertainment Videos, Funny Pictures, Fail Pictures, Troll Comics, Troll Images, lol Pictures, Mp3 Tunes and every thing you want...
www.hotcurrentaffairs.com

Dinesh gir said...

Lol n Troll Network with the Name of Lols Gag where you can find Videos, Gif Images, Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags.
LolsGag.Blogspot.Com

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!